Monday, April 27, 2015

Happy birthday, Mom!


Today was my mom's birthday. She and my dad came over for dinner after church - pulled pork sandwiches and the first corn on the cob of the year. So delicious. And then, of course, cake. Yay!

She requested something lemon-y, so i made lemon bars. (It was nice of her to wear a shirt to match!) But i also made brownies, because i assumed that she and Juanito would be the only ones who'd want lemon bars. Turns out, though, that Zane loved them and even Katrina really liked them. Weird! The two kids i'd least expect to like something different.

I think that my mom is so beautiful, inside and out. Growing up, she was all i knew, so i don't think i ever really appreciated her for all that was. My friend Karen would tell me that my mom was so great, and i'd think, "Well, yeah." It was after i was an adult and we started going out for breakfast and spent hours talking - after i was married and had a job and had some perspective, and after we became friends as well as mother-daughter - that i think i realized how really great she actually was.

And then i had kids and realized that i had no idea what i was doing, and then realized that maybe she was faking it some of the time too, that i realized how genius she actually was at being a mom. I always, always believed that she just knew things. Knew what to say and how to be and what was needed. She was either just way more prepared than i was or she was just amazing at making me believe that she had the answers when she was trying to figure it out herself. Either way, it was comforting, as a child, to think my mom had it all together. And it's comforting, as an adult, to hope that maybe my kids feel the same way.

So happy birthday, to the best mom i've ever had! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment