Monday, September 19, 2016

Arrrrr! Free donuts!


Today was "dress like a pirate and get a dozen free donuts at Krispy Kreme" day. (My brother Jim called to remind me, and i was so happy he did, because i'd totally forgot!) I told the kids that, and they all immediately set about finding or making pirate stuff. Part of their costumes ended up being some fake gold coins, and they spent many gleeful hours saying things like, "I dropped my booty!" and "I'm shaking my booty!"

I'd originally planned to go right after school, but Zane's friend's dad texted me to ask if Finn could come home with us after school. And then Finn's mom forgot to pick him up after work. And so by the time we left (with Finn, also dressed like a pirate), it was about 5:45, which meant we had just 45 minutes to get donuts and get back home so Juanito could go to zumba. It was a good plan...until we pulled up at Krispy Kreme and saw the line that went out the door and halfway across the parking lot.

Juanito called Beth, who agreed to come get him because she is really, really nice. By the time we actually got our donuts (four dozen!!!!), the line was twice as long as it had been when we got there. The employees had the donuts being constantly made, and they were taking them straight off the conveyor belt, putting them into boxes, and handing them out as fast as they could. I bet they hate this day!

Obviously we don't actually need 4 dozen donuts, so while i made dinner, i sent the kids out with a box to see if any of the neighbors would like a donut. They gleefully brought them to all of the neighbors we know and some of the neighbors we don't know. They were the donut-fairies...but pirate-y. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment