Sunday, January 27, 2019

Snow! And doctor!


We finally got snow, and Zane is extraordinarily thrilled. He spent hours outside building a little snow fort in our front yard, and then when i got home from work, he begged to go sledding, so we went to the park near our house. He gleefully went up and down the hill while i watched until i was freezing and went to read in the car, and after another 15 minutes, he came and said, "I'm just not having fun...." And so we were just getting ready to leave when Katrina texted and said, "I'm coming sledding!" So then we stayed for another hour or so. And as we were leaving, Zane was all, "Can we go sledding again tomorrow?!" Such a weird kid. Snow is cold!

They already called (and texted and emailed and called two more phones) to say that Zane's school is cancelled for tomorrow, for a giant snowfall that we're expected to get overnight. I half expect us to get no snow at all now, because that would be par for the course, snow-day-wise. (Terrible roads? Have school. No problem at all? Snow day.) Houston and Katrina are keeping their fingers crossed that they'll have a snow day as well.

Oh! I never wrote about Houston and Katrina's doctor visit! I mean, it wasn't anything mind-blowingly interesting for the most part. Except a couple of notes.

1. Katrina and needles. Guys. She has developed herself a full-blown phobia of needles. I intentionally didn't tell her about the doctor's appointment until the day before, because as soon as i told her, he asked, "Do i need any shots?!?" I didn't know, and so for the next 20-ish hours, she worried and freaked out and annoyed everyone around her with her worries. My friend Linda sent me a screen shot of a text conversation between Katrina and Linda's daughter Ella that went like this:
Katrina - I'M KINDA FREAKING OUT
ELLA WHAT IF I NEED A FLU SHOT?
I'M NOT EVEN THERE YET AND I'M SHAKING
HELP ME
I'M IN THE FREAKING LUNCH LINE
And so when we got to the doctor's office, i immediately asked the nurse if Katrina was going to need a shot, and if so, if she could get that first, before seeing the doctor, which is one of the very best parenting decisions i've ever made. She was an absolute disaster until the shot was finished, and the entire appointment would have been horrible if she needed to wait until the end.

On the bright side, she didn't have a full-blown panic attack like she did last time she got shots, so...yay!

2. My kids are tall. Houston is 6'2" and still growing. Katrina is 5'7" and still growing.

3. Both Houston and Katrina have phenomenal eyesight. They could both read the bottom line of the eye chart without even squinting.

4. Both kids are super healthy and completely awesome. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment