Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Ice and exams


Juanito called this morning and the first thing he asked was, "Do the kids have school?!" I was all, "Um, yes. It's Tuesday?" But what i didn't know was that the roads were all icy and horrible, so it was totally a legitimate question. The did, and so Katrina and Houston headed off to school and i woke up Zane and he got all ready, and just before we were going to leave for school, we got a phone call that, "Due to inclement weather, school has been closed for today." Zane was super happy, obviously.

So the first time i went outside, it was when i was on my way to work. I knew it had been icy, but everything looked normal, so i walked down the steps, stepped onto the sidewalk, and immediately my foot slid straight down the sidewalk and i almost did the splits. And then, when i tried to get up, i totally couldn't! I tried 2-3 times, but my feet just couldn't get any purchase until finally i'd slid far enough down that i was on level ground and could get up. (If there was a video of THAT, it would be hilarious. I was totally laughing at myself.) So yeah. This was the slipperiest ice i have ever, ever experienced. I'm the girl who always mocks people on movies who can't walk on ice, because it's not THAT hard, but today? Oh yeah. Two of my coworkers also wiped out, so that makes me feel better.

Exams are this week, and with Houston, that means that I am doing a LOT of studying. I don't know why he's SO BAD at studying, but he really is! I just totally taught him a semester's worth of biology. To add to the fun, Zane has a giant math interim that counts for a giant part of his trimester grade, so i am also trying to study with him.

Here is the difference between studying with each of my kids:

Houston - Swears that he's never learned any of this in class, totally pays attention as i teach him as well as i can, goofs off in spurts, but learns quickly and tries hard.

Zane - Is miserable that he has to do work, so he does the absolutely bare minimum. Seriously - if the answer is $3.50, he will write 3.5, so yes, technically he did the math right, but DUDE. It takes an additional 1 second to add the rest of that answer! He knows math and kind of likes math, but doesn't want to actually have to WRITE anything, so he does all of the work in his head, which makes it impossible to know where mistakes are made when he gets one wrong. And did i mention that he spends 3/4 of the time being distracted so that everything takes longer? BUT he knows how to do most of it, and when he didn't understand something, he did focus really well on learning how to do it. So it's not all bad.

Katrina - Carefully spends days recopying notes and filling out study guides. Studies for everything on her own, and just has me quiz her when she already basically knows all of the answers and all i have to do is say, "Yep. Good."

I know i've said it many times before, but i hate exams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment