Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Christmas concert and also ornaments


Tonight was the 6th and 7th grade band concert. And it was ... i mean, it was 6th and 7th graders, so it wasn't awesome, but Zane was totally happy to be playing, and it was fun to get to see his band play. My mom and Beth both came to see him too, which was super nice and made him feel all special.

So that was mostly our advent activity tonight. "Mostly," because i also told them that there's a pickle hiding on the tree (per German tradition, which the kids always love when we go see the trees at Meijer Gardens), so they got to find that too. I've been sort of planning to make a pickle ornament for a few years now, and i finally did it this year.


And while i'm posting pictures of ornaments, here are just a few of our many, many, mostly homemade ornaments that i love.


The wreath with the cardinal belonged to my Grandma (my dad's mom). The red star hung on our tree when i was growing up, and the weird green yarn guy is an ornament my mom made for us when we were little - it used to pull apart and get a roll of Lifesavers for a body, i think. The sloth, owl, and Dumbledore were made by Beth. The sheep comes from Scotland. The carousel spins and makes me happy. (It was from my parents.)

I think that one of the things i love about our Christmas trees is that i can tell you where every ornament came from and the story behind it. We don't have any room for basic store-bought Christmas balls or whatever, and i am not sad about that at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment